Nailed it

Oh man. It has been an odd two or three weeks.

It began with a mad dash to get the second polytunnel up during a nice calm spell of weather, and it ended with a trip in an air ambulance and 6 days in the Deathstar (Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, formerly known as the Suffering General).

I am back home, shattered, with all my good bacteria blasted into orbit thanks to a course of IV antibiotics – at the worst, 3 types 4 times a day. It will be a while before I am properly fit again, but I’m glad I don’t have a raging knee infection anymore. Looks like my 10k at the end of April will have to be put on hiatus until next year.

First up, I got a bike. I have been getting bad shin splints recently and have had to ease back on the running, so I figured a bike would be a good idea. With my injury, I can’t cycle at the moment either. Here she is, though! I look forward to many happy cycles.


Next up was sowing seed for the first part of the season. There has been decent sunlight, and growth in the tunnel is good, so it’s time to sow!

Lots was planted, and we’ll see what germinates.

20160326_150820 20160326_150814

Then it was time to get tunnel 2 underway. This time, apart from help with the ridge pole form Ben and Hannah, I built the frame myself. Mark and Jo kindly helped with the cover again.

It wasn’t an easy task, but really really satisfying. Tunnel 2 lives!

20 minutes after tunnel 2 was completed, with working doors, and everything, I went to collect an egg which a hen had laid in the back of the compost bin. I knelt on a bit of old gate and heard a small pop followed by a lot of pain. I had knelt on a nail. 24 hours later infection had set in despite antibiotics, and within 48 hours I was in an air ambulance to Glasgow. I spent 6 days on IV antibiotics. Thankfully, the infection stayed in my knee and didn’t spread. A week later I flew home. I am trying not be to annoyed at all the things I can’t do. It will take a few weeks to get back on form – it is terrifying how quickly you lose muscle and fitness when confined to bed and fed hospital grub whilst slowly poisoned. I can’t tell you how grateful I am though, for the medical care on the island, ambulance crews both on land and in the air, and for the NHS which put me up, put up with me and gave me good enough wifi to have a full blown netflix binge. Not only that, but I am incredibly thankful for friends, family and neighbours old and new who have rallied round and helped out. People are awesome!

Back on the croft, there is plenty afoot! I returned to a polytunnel with beds in it, and a delivery of my new signs, along with lots of growth.

Our latest acquisition was a tub of tiger worms, delivered from a friend, so I look forward to seeing them multiply in the compost 🙂


And here are some cat pictures.

20160410_184426 20160411_173852

2 thoughts on “Nailed it

  • 12th April 2016 at 5:48 pm

    Glad that you are home and on the mend Rhoda, sometimes life is just a bit on the cruel side but you will be back to normal soon I am sure. Love to see all your pictures especially the cat ones. from “the mad cat wummin” x

  • 9th September 2016 at 9:03 am

    Great that everything is fine now, you should be careful next time. 🙂 Next spring I want to buy myself a bicycle too. Perfect tunnels!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

?php do_action( 'freedom_before_footer' ); ?>