One of the biggest problems over the years in Coll View, the old family croft house which I am working to bring back to life, has been the lack of a working kitchen.
My Grandmother’s quest for modernity resulted in the kitchen (along with the rest of the house) being covered in hardboard.
Given that the kitchen had a major damp issue due to an unsealed watertank on the south wall (now demolished), it was not a situation which was going to end well. A chipboard kitchen hung on as best it could, but when I moved in 4 months ago, it got the heave – well, most of it.
Which left me with an even less usable kitchen. I’m working on a serious budget, so I set to. I made a worktop on Saturday, tore everything out (with the help of a friend on mate’s rates), replumbed and fitted the worktop on sunday and made it look pretty after work on Monday evening.
I still need to figure out the hot water issue (the little immersion heater has not been reinistated) but that aside, I have a kitchen which works, is entirely inkeeping with the era of the house, and which is a damn sight more hygenic than it was. It is all (other than support legs and plumbing stuff) reclaimed, recycled, repurposed, or has been begged, borrowed or taken from the tip… Washing mashing came from the tip, and tumble dryer is on loan from a family who curently don’t need it.
I started by demolishing three old kitchen tables, and putting the tops (made from floor boards) back together in a different order to create a worktop.
Then I ripped out what was left of the kitchen.
I added a couple of 2×2 (rescued from a boxed in fireplace) batons to keep the worktop in place. Scraped the old flakey paint off the walls.
Mounted the worktop, and screwed in place. Used cheap wardrobe rails as legs to support the front.
Replumbed the sink and joined up the waste.
Whitewashed the walls (next time, I would totally do that first!). Cleaned whitewash off worktop…
I found an old set of shelves in the attic, for the top of the worktop, and doctored a new set of pine garage shelving until it fitted under the sink.
Plumbing bits and legs cost me £20. Labour cost £50. Cost of new kitchen: £70.